Monday, November 30, 2009

Early Christmas

I have thought about this on the way to Sukhumvit Road aboard the BTS (Bangkok Transit System) Friday morning. I'm going to drop by this partricular area in central Bangkok all dressed up for the holiday season on Sunday . I will let my eyes feast on the beauty of this transformed Christmas wonderland. Living and working in a predominantly Buddhist country for many years now makes me wonder why everybody (every Thai person I mean) is excited about Christmas. Thai people do not know the real meaning of Christmas and simple enough, they associate this very important event in the life of a true Christian with Jingle Bells, Santa Claus, Christmas trees and every symbol of Christmas one can think of . . . except the birth of our Savior. They think that Christmas is special, even Hindus and Moslems living in this country do too. For me, I miss Christmas , the way we celebrate it at home, the true meaning of it. I miss grand family reunions, Misa de Gallo (nine days novena masses before Christmas), Christmas Eve dinner with family members, caroling and so many things that Christmas at home is made of. I try to make every Christmas spent in here in Thailand special and memorable , especially for my son JM. I knew we can't finish touring this transformed Christmas wonderland yesterday, so were coming back for more next Sunday!

My son JM at the foot of the giant Christmas tree. He looked like a dwarf in contrast to the size of the tree behind him.

This was taken at the wine section of the supermarket. The Christmas goodies looked so delicious and tempting, particularly the gingerhouse cake. We bought some yummy cakes and fancy breads and planned to come back before Christmas to buy the things we need for Christmas Eve dinner.

We went around Central World and found this Christmas tree decorated with gold and white ornaments. We had a great time looking at all the beautiful Christmas decorations around us. This was the main idea of dropping by, shopping was only second.

White Christmas bells adorned with flag inspired bows hangs beautifully above the giant Christmas tree.

No comments: